Monday, March 31, 2008

The company we keep


My mate Dave, an art director in Australia, said something in an email to me which I found both poignant and indicative.

On the subject of the agency he works for:

"The thing is mate, I really fucking love this job and this industry, but I work with lots of people who don't seem to give a flying fuck about it."


Is this uncommon?

Have the marketing grads grudgingly joined the industry because they couldn't think of anything better to do?

I certainly fell into the job by accident rather than by design. But I think that's healthy for a creative - for a copywriter in particular. Is it the case that there are a lot of people in client services departments that can't be arsed with the work we do, can't be arsed with the work they do and, worse still, can't be arsed with the work their client does?

If I ever start my own agency I'm going to insist that we never employ anyone with a marketing degree. It's the new media studies. And it's fucking things up.

No comments: