Thursday, April 10, 2008

I appreciate your concern.

This is one borrowed from a colleague of mine.

She hates it when a Client Services Person comes over to you and says:

"I'm just concerned about a few things."

Concerned.

You're concerned about this piece of work?

What is your concern, exactly? If you don't mind me asking?

It's just that, when I'm concerned, it's usually about leaving the iron on and all my neighbours getting burned to death as a result of my stupidity.

Or I get concerned about a child who is smelly and cowers when somebody makes a noise.

I'm sometimes concerned about the standards of education in schools or the cleanliness of hospitals.

Inner city destitution, the mental health of the developing world, the concept of "black crime", the usurpation of the labour party by nobheads, sex-traffiking, fat cats, ice caps, tigers going extinct, richard littlejohn...

Not trying to get on the old moral high horse, mate. But these are the things that concern me.

But you're concerned about ... my copy?

You're concerned that - what? - the client, who is paying for it, might have an opinion on the work? Like they always do anyway?

I'm concerned that you've wasted your whole fucking life missing the point of everything.

3 comments:

Davey said...

Couldn't your "colleague" simply point out that they don't feel "concerned" is the correct term to use when discussing copy?

Obviously they could do it in the same condecending manner as the other rant but they wouldn't waste all that time talking about the ice caps and tigers.

Excuse me, but someone is throwing stones at that glass house i just built...

Rob said...

Of course she could.

But where would the fun be in that.

Anyone who says they are "concerned" about something that someone has created - unless its a nuclear bomb or torture device - is missing the point.

I'm concerned about your concept.

What's it going to do? Rape a baby?

It's a bit like being concerned about a sunny day. Creativity is good thing. Even when it's wrong.

Except for DMA mailings and Hollyoaks.

Davey said...

But, you weren't discussing creativity you were discussing the use of the word "concerned" and how it should be limited to wars, torture and sex crimes.

You might want to flag such inflammatory words with account service to prevent them from making the same mistake twice. you could write these words on a helium balloon and tie it around your neck.

I'll stop now before your blog starts to look like the letters page of Viz.