Monday, April 14, 2008

Snow Crash

One of my previous posts was talking about how I wanted to branch out into digital marketing. Partly because of the bandwagon and partly because it fascinates me entirely. And there is nothing as rewarding as learning something new. (I've also been allocated some accounts at work that will need a lot of websites built, so its slowly starting to happen).

But one of the problems for a DM bandit is getting up-to-speed. For me, this has involved learning about the history of the internet and the web, getting a bit more familiar with dreamweaver, and writing this shitty little blog.

But to go one step further, to get under the skin of the people who live and breathe this stuff, I've been trying to submerge myself in spod culture too. And one aspect of this is the book Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. It's a sci-fi wank off. And is about as far away from the things I normally read as humanly possible. But for a book written in 1992, it has certainly seen many of its ideas come to light. Albeit in rudimentary form.

The Brave New World of our generation, perhaps.

Does anyone know to what degree this book has influenced the web as we know it today? It clearly has huge parallels with Second Life and World of Warcraft. But who copied whom?

Good read though, I recommend it to any DM creatives who are looking at making the switch.

6 comments:

Supercilious Camel said...

Oi mate, the book that started it all is Necromancer by William Gibson. but that sissy little Snow Crash thing down and pick up the bible.

Big Smooch

Rob said...

Necromancer, eh?

Thanks very much.

Will read that next.

But I'm not watching Red Dwarf, okay? I'm just not going that far.

Davey said...

Dude sorry if i'm making your "move" sound simplistic, but what move?

Just because you work in a mostly DM shop can you do ATL? of course you fucking can. It's another discipline of the same art/craft/wank.

There are no smoke and mirrors with the online stuff either as far as i can see, you're still selling crap no one wants to people who don't care.

Rob said...

That's what I used to think, Junglebook.

But I found out I was wrong.

I'm not even sure "selling" as a term is going to help us in the future.

The game seems to be changing.

Davey said...

ok, ok so the game is changing, but your talent lies in writing, in communicating with the public, why would that change whatever the media?

oh fuck it, i'll email you for the answer...

Rob said...

it's about understanding the technology more than anything

the skills sets are the same, i grant you.

but how people react online is different than how they react to more didactic media. they are in control.

it just helps to get under the skin of it.

writing for example, now involves writing for search engine spiders and stuff like that.

the "a copywriter" section on that blogroll to the right of my side is quite a good read for showing the differences for a copywriter in DM and digital.