Thursday, June 19, 2008

Enthusiasm: Part One


Been a while.

But I figure I should keep going as the world of DM is becoming rather more interesting of late. A post on that another time, though.

For now, I just want to comment on 'enthusiasm.' It's a big old subject, and a passion of mine (I hate enthusiasm; enthusiasm starts wars and encourages idiots to do stupid things. )

But this is just about enthusiasm for the product.

It's the usual self-opinionated twaddle. But indulge me.

I reckon enthusiasm for the product is the client's business. And, eventually, the creative team's.

Enthusiasm for the product in the mind of the planner, however, is a recipe for DM disaster. If you are enthusiastic about a product, everything is a benefit.

"But it's BLUE!"

"But you really CAN save money"

As a creative, I prefer sceptical planners. That way, when the USP (if we're being old fashioned), the insight (if we're talking shite), or the emotional reason to do something crops up, it will be irrefutable.

A good brief should be self-evident: sceptic proof.

Enthusiasm for the product - by the fact of the product alone - perpetuates not only shit products, but ineffective work.

I'm not a planner, though. So this might be a load of old bollocks.

(Which, ironically, would probably set me in good stead for a job in planning. Ho ho.)

Adios.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray! Welcome back, I missed you.

Mr. Happy said...

Yes, it's good to have your cynical yet brilliant mind back to both provoke thought and entertain.

Remember though, you are allowed to be happy – it's not a crime, it doesn't make you less of a creative and it can be a very real emotion indeed.

Rob said...

I split up with my girl this week so am well fucked off.

But thanks.

Thoughts are coming back. And they're not so cuntish.

Davey said...

i'm glad you're back too.

and i don't need you happy.

Mr. Happy said...

Sorry to hear about your girl. She’s a bitch anyway/I’m sure she’ll see the error of her ways and come back to you. (Delete as appropriate.)

I look forward to your new thoughts with interest.